Thursday, July 07, 2005

the emancipation of meme?


off the chain letter

Is Santamanica saying I can join the reindeer games?
And since I recognize game, I used questions from various versions of the meme…

Total number of books I've owned: Some portion of the 500 or so books that I co-own with wifey
The last book I bought: The White Trilogy by Ken Bruen
The last book I read: Writing: Urban Calligraphy and Beyond, yeah, I know, mostly pictures (ironically) but I read all the fine type… and all the letters.
Five books that mean a lot to me (in no particular order):
1. Glengarry Glen Ross (play) by David Mamet - Act One’s near-monologue by Ricky Roma is the highlight from my favorite work of art and the delivery by Al Pacino or Liev Schreiber still doesn’t reveal how Mamet wrote it.
2. Flyboy in the Buttermilk (collection) by Greg Tate - Brought all the heat together and stayed cool.
3. My Dark Places by James Ellroy – He loves to tell the story again and again… but this is how it’s done.
4. Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man by Marshall McLuhan – If the theories don’t hold up the density sure does.
5. Neuromancer by William Gibson – Even after it all becomes reality the flow is still ‘the truth.’

Total number of films I own on DVD and video: About 100
Last film I bought: Cidade de Deus, you know… ‘Rio’… ‘Rocket’…
Last film I watched: The last ‘movie’ was ‘War of the Worlds.’ The last ‘film’ was probably the ‘Zatoichi’ remake by Takeshi ‘Beat’ Kitano. The last piece of ‘cinema’ that got me raving was Deadwood Season Two. If you let me say oranges are better than apples, then the dramas on HBO are trumping most flicks.
Five films that I watch a lot or that mean a lot to me (in no particular order):
1. Glengarry Glen Ross –The only performance available until the recent Broadway revival. One of the few movies I recommend to everyone.
2. La Haine – Beautifully shot meditation on hip-hop culture
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark – Best ride in the park.
4. Goodfellas – Flawless, bold and endlessly fascinating cinema. Period.
5. Pulp Fiction – Hilarious, visceral and filled with pages of great sounding sentences… and that’s just the parts you forgot about.

If I could be any character portrayed in a movie, I would be: Jules from Pulp Fiction… or James Bond?

Total volume of music on my computer: 54 GB
Last CD I bought: Boyz N Da Hood, easily the album of the half-year.
Song currently playing: The end of Magnificent Seven by The Clash and the beginning of Mayhem (Madden Mix) by The Federation.
Five songs I listen to a lot or that mean a lot to me:
1. Rebel Without a Pause by Public Enemy – The revolution will rattle your trunk. It changed my brain.
2. Check the Rhime by A Tribe Called Quest – Almost the opposite of ‘Rebel’ with the laid-back playfulness… but perfectly crafted hip-hop nonetheless.
3. Players Ball by Outkast and Organized Noize – Sets off their catalogue and put the South on my musical map (with all due respect to the Geto Boys).
4. Eye for an Eye by Mobb Deep feat. Nas and Raekwon – Perfectly dark snap-shots by the best of the East Coast rebirth.
5. I Just Wanna Love You by Jay-Z and The Neptunes – Swagger, dance or sing-along… I’m covered.


And since all y’all have already done the meme… who got next?...

UPDATE: ‘Chain’ Links… You’re it…
Since Aurich and DJ Queazy don’t have their blog game on (feel free to comment or send me your answers, dudes) I’m gonna tap some folks that showed some ‘link love’ (pause)…
Robbie, M.A.T.T., 2 Words, Lil’ El, and No Frontin’