Tuesday, April 18, 2006

'violent' hip-hop



I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

Who knew Mr. Len, Kimani, Cee-Lo and Dangermouse were Femmenists?
I guess it makes sense that ‘college radio’ kids of this era would be getting into ‘college radio’ hits of another era but I never thought it would be via hip-hop. The fact that the Barkley boys are ruling Britain like a couple of Arctic Monkeys from The Streets doesn’t necessarily mean they will break-out of US college backpacks but the sound is (and the band members are) recognizable enough to get past limey levels both Dizzee or Dynamitee. The Roosevelt Franklin take on ‘Blister In the Sun’ isn’t quite long enough to be addictive but it creates enough Violent Femmes coincidence to have me daydreaming… Will Def Jux latch onto ‘American Music’ (“I did too many drugs…”)? Can MF Doom chop up the groove for ‘Color Me Once’? Will Kool Keith rework ‘Gimme The Car’? He might just throw it down your throat like Barkley.

Gnarls Barkley – Gone Daddy Gone
Roosevelt Franklin – I Saw It On Oprah